Christian dating services bethlehem new hampshire dating girls in zimbabwe
(The information is this paragraph has been taken, with permission, from the Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed Conway Bypass, prepared by Victoria Bunker, Inc.in 1995.) The two quarries at Redstone lie within a few hundred yards of each other and their geological proximity is considered a fairly rare occurrence.These, and many other relics, are lasting monuments to what once was a thriving business and village; both succumbed to changing technology and changing economics.Although most of the buildings have collapsed, with the help of old maps, old photographs, studying remnants of foundations and listening to memories of local senior citizens, the story of a once-thriving village and renowned granite facility can be reconstructed.The Maine Central Railroad brought in raw materials and supplies and finished product was shipped by rail.Old maps show the extensive rail system that once serviced the site. Nearby, a block of roughed-out granite, obviously intended to be a round column, lies next to a still-bearing apple tree.
In 1880, George Wagg, Roadmaster of the Maine Central Railroad, brought the quality of the granite to the attention of Payson Tucker, President of the Maine Central and J. By 1887, The Maine and New Hampshire Granite Company was formed, with Wagg as President, and with quarries in Jay, as well as Redstone.
George Wagg served as president of the company until his death in 1892.
His son succeeded him and served as President until the company was sold in 1895.
Earlier maps and photos of the pink quarry indicate quarrying began there, further toward the southeast, and gradually moved northwest, closer to the green quarry.
The first rail line, or tramway, ran to the pink quarry.